Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Welcome to my family blog. I have been married to Mike for over half of my life. I love my Savior, Jesus. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to six terrific, interesting children. My 3 oldest were born to me in my younger years, while my 3 youngest were given to me by God in my older years. I am very blessed. ~Cheri

9.15.2007

Home from China 2007

We've been home almost a week and things are finally getting back to normal.  We started off bright and early on Wednesday 9/12.  We had to be in the lobby at 6:00 a.m.  We didn't sleep too well the night before.  Joy was really having difficulties sleeping in her crib.  Everything went well on the flight to Hong Kong.  We had a long layover there, so we did a bit of shopping and Seth and Jack walked around taking random pictures.

I really don't even want to post about the flight from Hong Kong to Chicago, but I have to for Joy's sake.  It is part of her journey to America.  Eva was just horrible.  She was tired and grumpy and then she had this new thing called "little sister".  Eva actually had screaming fits numerous times on the plane.  I had to take her into the tiny bathroom and just sit with her and let her scream until she was finished.  Even in Chicago's bathrooms she had her screaming fit, plus one on the flight directly home.  She was finally happy once we reached the last airport and she was in her carseat.  She even giggled at that point.  The last stewardess saw Eva smiling and laughing and said, "Now, you're awake and happy and not crying?"  I just had to share with her that we've been traveling half way around the world for the last 30 hours.  That explained a lot.  She seemed sympathetic at that point.  I also wanted to share that we had a couple of wonderful flight attendants from Hong Kong to Chicago.  One lady tried to get us an extra seat by moving someone around (it didn't work).  Another lady was so kind she brought (smuggled from business class) us Chips Ahoys and Twix bars.  She could tell I needed a sugar fix.  I have to say that both times we flew United, and both times we had wonderful people taking care of us on our flights.  Once we arrived in Chicago, Mike's mom came to visit us at the airport.  It was so nice to see her.  She brought Joy and Eva cards and gifts.  We planned on having a meal, but that didn't work out.  Poor Mike felt horrible.  Seth told him it was the airplane food,  Seth learned his lesson last year.  He was sick by the time we arrived in Chicago.  Needless to say, Mike found 5 seats and spread out on them to sleep.  I had not slept at all on the plane, but felt fine since there was so much to do with the younger girls.  They kept my adrenaline flowing all the way home.  

Once we arrived home, I bathed the girls and started unpacking.  I just couldn't stand the thought of bags sitting around.  That would be enough to keep me awake.  So, we got most things unpacked and I took a shower and we were all in bed by 1:30 a.m. Thursday morning.  Joy did not like sleeping in the crib.  Mike and I felt terrible for the first 3 days home because of lack of sleep.  Joy will sleep for a couple of hours, then start fitting in her crib.  She screams like a cat, arches her back, and kicks her feet.  Finally, Saturday night, Joy only woke up twice for about 10 minutes and we were able to sleep well.  Last night, she only woke once. 

Slowly, things are getting into a routine around here.  Joy is just blossoming under our care, attention, and love.  She is enjoying new foods and loves to explore.  She's walking all over the place.  At first she'd fall quite a bit, but that never hindered her .  She'd get right back up and try it again.  Yesterday, we attended church, and I went in the nursery with the girls.  I do have to say that I'm thrilled that Joy is very attached to us.  She obviously prefers us to others and even reached for Mike and I when someone else was holding her.  What a relief, since Eva did the exact opposite.  Eva is showing some jealousy.  When someone is holding Joy, Eva asks to be "up" with us.  This is unlike Eva, as she never wants to be held unless someone has food to share with her.  I know that slowly, Eva will get used to it all and adjust to her new sister.  We're all so in love with Joy.  She's such a funny, perfect fit into our family.  I'm glad our travels to China are finished and we can relax and enjoy our new family.  (Hindsight:  Little did I know then that we were going back to China!)

Heading out of our hotel room bright and early!  Joy looks quite chipper!

Maybe Eva would have been happier on this airline?

Hong Kong Airport

Yep, that's my hubby, all tuckered out.

Freezing at the airport in Chicago

Now she sleeps?!

Almost home!

0 kind words:

Post a Comment


Total Pageviews

Blog Archive


  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP