Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Welcome to my family blog. I have been married to Mike for over half of my life. I love my Savior, Jesus. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to six terrific, interesting children. My 3 oldest were born to me in my younger years, while my 3 youngest were given to me by God in my older years. I am very blessed. ~Cheri


Finally Home

When we lost our electricity on June 29th, we thought it would be for a few hours.  Those hours turned to days with no relief in site.  We had to take freezer foods to a friend's house and throw out everything in our fridge.  We had no running water, no air conditioning (it was over 100 degrees during that time), no food.  We decided to "get out of Dodge".  We kenneled the dogs and slowly made our way to Illinois.  I was so relieved to have air conditioning and running water again.  But, most importantly, I was so excited to see Jordan.  It was a crazy time.

Jordan's graduation was on Friday, so we headed to Chicago on Thursday night.  We were excited to see that there was a "Cheesecake Factory" not far from our hotel.

I was in desperate need of greens, and this salad hit the spot.

We were up bright and early Friday morning.  Mike's dad was able to drive in for the Jordan's big day.  This was his 3rd Great Lakes trip to see a graduation, but my first.  The graduation hall filled up rather quickly.

Sailors with the flags of each United States.

The Naval band played music and all was well.  I finally got choked up when the big doors opened right in front of us to this spectacular site, sailors marching to the haunting beat of the drums.  I still get chills when I look at this picture, remembering the emotions it stirred up inside of me.  It was an amazing experience.

Each division came out in order, parading in front of anxious family members.  I searched the faces of Jordan's division, hoping to see my daughter.

I started using my zoom lens, to scan each face.  I finally found her, staring right back at me.  Can you spot her?

There were lots of hugs and kisses after the ceremony.  I wasn't able to get too many pictures.  Jordan needed to head back to her barracks to get a few things so she could leave with us as soon as possible.
While waiting, I snapped a few pictures.

What is up with the scowl on Eva's face?  I was up at 4:30, and the girls got up at 5:30.  It was a long day.

We went back to our hotel room, where Jordan proceeded to take a long shower.  No more 3 minute showers for her!  For dinner, Jordan chose....."Cheesecake Factory".  Thankfully, we didn't have the same waiter.  It was so good to see this face sitting next to me at dinner...

...and this weird face sitting across from me.

After dinner, Jordan had to say good-bye to Grandpa.  It is always hard.

We drove Jordan back to her barracks at 8:00 p.m.  She had to take the bus to the airport at 12:30 a.m. and wait at the airport until her flight left at 7:30 p.m.  She was told she could not leave the airport as she was group leader for 17 sailors.  We were all going to drive to the airport the next day to hang out with her for a few hours.  But, instead, she called us at 3:30 a.m. to tell us she could leave the airport!  Let's just say Jordan was living on adrenaline, and Mike and I were not.  So, Mike drove out to the airport to pick up Jordan.  They stopped on the way to pick up a friend currently at Great Lakes base, who Jordan met locally while waiting to leave for boot camp.  He graduated before Jordan arrived, but is still at the base for his training.  They were all back at our hotel by 6:15 a.m.  

Now, here is the sad part (for me, anyway).  Jordan's friend has a similar look as my son, Seth.  When Joy woke up and saw this young man sitting in the living area, she told her sisters that Seth was here!  She came into the room, walked straight up to him to show him her sailor hat, saying, "Look Seth!"  It broke my heart when she realized that it wasn't her big brother.  Joy quietly climbed into my arms looking a bit confused.  I can't blame her.  I would have loved it if Seth was with us.

Since we were checking out of the hotel and heading home that morning, we had breakfast with Jordan and drove her and and her friend to downtown Chicago to Navy Pier to see the sights.  We said our good-byes right there.  Although we had very little time together, it was a special time with our daughter.

(I can see why Joy thought this young man was her brother)

Jordan arrived at her next destination last night, exhausted.  She is hoping to start her schooling soon.  

Next stop:  Parris Island for Seth's graduation.

9 kind words:


Oh, I'm so glad that you got to see her! And I got choked up just seeing the photos, so I can understand why you were emotional, seeing it all in person.

Martha @ Berrybliz

Congratulations on her graduation. what an awesome time together although I know it went by way too fast.


It was so great to see the graduation photos! Jordan looks fabulous!


Yeah!!! I'm so happy for all of you!!! Congratulations Jordan. So thrilled for you Cheri.


Oh, how special!! I loved seeing pics of Jordan. I can't imagine how you felt finally hugging her and talking face to face.


Gosh, I can sense the excitement you had seeing Jordan again! She looks fabulous! And I did spot her looking right at you. Too funny.

Her friend does look similar to Seth. I can see how Joy got confused. I'm sure you're now counting down the days until you get to see Seth again. Hope the days pass quickly by.


I loved seeing the pictures. What a special and emotional time! Congratulations to Jordan!


Can't believe you were in IL when we were in China! Looks like our paths just missed crossing as we were in Chicago on 7/11!! So happy to see you & your sweet girl together at least for a bit :)


I'm tearing up just reading this post, Cheri. Jordan looks wonderful! I finally spotted her eyes peeking out from under her cap. (Do the girls wear different caps with black brims?)

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by 2008

Back to TOP