Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Welcome to my family blog. I have been married to Mike for over half of my life. I love my Savior, Jesus. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to six terrific, interesting children. My 3 oldest were born to me in my younger years, while my 3 youngest were given to me by God in my older years. I am very blessed. ~Cheri

12.21.2011

1998

I remember a lot of details about this day 13 years ago.  Life was so good.  I just gave birth to my 3rd child, Jack.  Jordan, Seth, Jack, and I were heading out for a busy, fun-filled day.  We started off going to Jordan's ceramics class, where she and Seth made some messy-looking snowmen.  Next, we bought some last minute Christmas gifts and had lunch in town.  We lived in Illinois at the time, so it was cold and snowy.  Our family was staying home for Christmas, but planned on heading to my parent's house after the New Year in West Virginia.

But, our plans drastically changed that afternoon.  Instead of enjoying the evening as a family, we headed out to West Virginia.  My father died suddenly that afternoon on a warm, winter day.  He had been out washing the car with his grandson, ran some errands, and then died.

I often think about what his life was like that morning.  Did he even have a suspicion that something was not right?  Did he suffer much?  His death was a complete shock to all of us.  I was not prepared.  No one was.  I spent the next 2 months in a daze.  My nights were filled with vivid dreams of my dad.  Mostly, the dreams were of me trying to resuscitate him or that he was alive again.  Oh, to have him with me right now!  What wisdom he had and could share with me.  I know I did not spend enough time gleaning all that I could from him.  I wish I could have one more day with my kind, compassionate, gentle Dad.  The 30 some years I knew him was not enough.


6 kind words:

Vicky

Cheri, I'm sorry you lost your dad while still so young. What a loss to you and to your children! Your tribute to him speaks volumes of his character.

Blessings to you as you remember your dad today!

Judi

Cheri, I can so relate to this. My dad also died young at age 56 very suddenly. I will always remember the phone call and the events of that day. My grandfather, my dad's dad, died of a heart attack on Christmas Day at the age of 60. Still young as well. I hope you are blessed today by your memories of your dad.

Naomi

Thinking of you today after reading about your loss. He looked like a great Dad. It is amazing how we never forget that moment when someone was taken from us.

Oh glorious Heaven!!!

Prayers for your Mum too.

Anonymous

I know how you feel, I lost my dad exactly 4 years ago today. He had a cardiac arrest. He just turned 68and he was my big hero. I loved and still love him so much, I miss him every day, but this day, especially since we are near christmas when you see so many happy people, it hurts the most to not have him knock on the window and walk in and give us all a big hug. I know how you feel. It sucks.

Stefanie

Melissa

Sissy,
I wonder the same things you wonder about Dad and his morning with Bradley, them running errands and washing the car, and then Bradley thinking that once the paramedics arrived and took Dad to the hospital, he would be ok. Mom just recently told me that Bradley was standing outside and when he saw the ambulance coming up the road he flagged them down so they would know where to go. I cannot even bear to think about it. It just breaks my heart for all of us. Our Dad was so wonderful in every way and my heart and my life hasn't been the same since he's been gone. I just wanted you to know that I wonder the same things you do about how he felt that morning. Did he know even before that day? We will never know. I love you and thank you for posting this picture.

Unknown

Cheri,

I, too, know what it's like to live in a fog after the loss of a loved one. I can't only imagine how much greater the fog is when that loss is so sudden. Praying the memories you have of him help to fill that empty space in your heart. Merry Christmas!

Post a Comment


Total Pageviews

Blog Archive


  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP