Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Welcome to my family blog. I have been married to Mike for over half of my life. I love my Savior, Jesus. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to six terrific, interesting children. My 3 oldest were born to me in my younger years, while my 3 youngest were given to me by God in my older years. I am very blessed. ~Cheri

8.30.2007

Day 3 Guangzhou 2007

Can you believe that I didn't know what day of the week it was?  I had to figure it out by my posts.  I'm a bit scatter-brained lately.

So, we've had Joy for 2 full days now.  She slept peacefully last night.  No headbanging or coughing.  I started her on an antibiotic and gave her motrin at bedtime.  When she woke up, she cried.  I was hoping for a good start to the day, with some smiles.  It didn't happen.  She has finally started taking a bottle with cereal for me.  Even at breakfast she ate tiny spoonfuls of congee and watermelon.  It is definitely not enough to fill her tummy.  Late morning, we went to the pool.  The boys needed to burn off some energy, and I wanted to expose Joy to as much as possible.  She seemed to like the pool after the initial shock of it all.  We only sat on the steps.  She hated the sun in her face, just like Eva did.  She christened the swim diaper that I bought for Eva.  I doubt the stains will come out. 
After her lunchtime bottle, she ate 1/4 of a banana and about 20 cheerios.  I was so excited.  It is very hard to get a smile out of her.  She's so serious all of the time.  After lunch, she interacted very well with all of us.  She stroked Seth's face.  She even wacked Eva in the head with a toy a couple of times.  Jordan got her to chuckle briefly.  I think she tickled her tummy.  I'm just loving her the best I can to let her know how much we care for her.  She seems to really enjoy being held and cuddled up to our chests.  It seems to be the preferred position.

After a short nap, Mike, Eva, Joy, and I, went to the passport office to apply for Joy's passport.  For the next week, I think, we've nothing but time on our hands.  I think we'll go to White Cloud Mountain tomorrow.  The boys are going stir crazy, and I am too.  We finally made it out to dinner tonight, near the hotel.  It was nice, but expensive.   I guess it is expensive anywhere with the whole family.  Dining just isn't as fun here in Guangzhou as it was in Nanchang last year.  

Some things I've discovered about Joy:  she has only 4 teeth, terribly dry, rough skin, she has many bruises on her, which is quite concerning to us.  Tonight at dinner, I saw a naughty streak in Joy.  She was swinging a toy around, dangerously, so I told her no and held it down.  When I removed my hand, she did it again, so I took the toy away.  Then the screaming started.  She was mad.  She doesn't like things being taken away from her, especially if it is not replaced with something else.  Lots of training is in store for this little girl.  I think more than what Eva has needed.  This morning, she was playing with stacking cups.  She ended up carrying the smallest red one down to breakfast at around 8:00.  She held that cup all through breakfast, while in our room for a bit, while I changed her clothes, and the whole time we were at the pool.  Total time: at least 4 hours.

The mother bear in me has emerged.  I knew it was coming in regards to Joy's hand; I just didn't know when.  Her hand is not a pretty site.  It is something you have to get used to.  I know it is only natural to want to look at it and want to know about it.  Two times, people have looked at her hand; one with a look of disgust, and another straining his head to get a closer look.  I find myself carrying her in a way that people cannot see her hand.  People can be cruel and a mother's heart only wants to shield her from all the hurts that will come her way.  Even Jack saw Joy's hand yesterday and exclaimed, "Mom! Look at Joy's hand!"  It was like all of a sudden, he noticed it was not normal looking.  I guess he forgot that she's not "perfect".  Joy has no problem using her hand.  She was actually holding that tiny foam elephant in the left hand.  She passes a toy from one hand to another and even picked up rice with her hands.  Currently, it doesn't hinder her.  Jordan pointed out, that she won't be able to play the violin, flute, or clarinet.  But, I'm sure, if she's persistent, nothing will hold her back.  She just needs opportunity.

Seth and Mike are in the hotel gym.  He'll do the posting when he returns.  I got a couple of good pictures of Joy today.  Again, thanks for your prayers.  Please continue praying for us and Joy.  She has a long road ahead of her.


0 kind words:

Post a Comment


Total Pageviews

Blog Archive


  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP