Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Welcome to my family blog. I have been married to Mike for over half of my life. I love my Savior, Jesus. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to six terrific, interesting children. My 3 oldest were born to me in my younger years, while my 3 youngest were given to me by God in my older years. I am very blessed. ~Cheri

3.07.2011

Bad Mom Award

Yes, you read that right. I feel shame, regret, guilt. Remember when I talked about Ivy's speech difficulties? In my attempt at reverse psychology I told her, that if she did not speak clearer, no one at school would be able to understand her; not her teachers or the students. You'd think a red light would have flashed on at the moment for me, but it didn't. Somehow I thought it would motivate her. Yes, she was motivated, but she also became afraid. You see, Ivy just did not talk at school (home school co-op) unless she was spoken to. She just smiled her irresistible smile, and moved throughout the day. When I asked her last Friday if she had spoken to any new friends, she replied in tears, "I'm afraid. I'm afraid no one will understand me." I feel badly, and that is an understatement. I've since encouraged her, telling her she did not need to be afraid because she has improved so much that I'm sure everyone would be able to understand every word she says. But, sadly, I did not realize my mistake until the fear set in. How to I help her not be afraid? Naturally, Ivy is a very timid, quiet girl. She is not one to be loud in a pubic place or make a spectacle of herself (unlike a few of my other children). So, I'm hoping and praying that this Friday will be a better day for Ivy, one without fear. And, I hope I've learned a lesson from his. I am sure I have many more to learn.

6 kind words:

Adrian Roberta

Oh Sweetie! I'm so sorry that this happened, we all make mistakes, but it doesn't take away how bad we feel after. We will commit to praying for Ivy's security and confidence to grow. With my 2 oldest (with major speech delays), I believe that strong confidence is most helpful way to improve the speech. You are an amazing mom! Don't let anyone let you feel any different!

~Roberta

Shirlee McCoy

If that's all it takes to get the bad mommy award, I've earned it about sixteen million times in the past 16 years. Sigh.

Maybe you can talk to another mom at the coop? Ask her to try to pull Ivy into a conversation with her kids?

I was a very shy and timid kid, and I think it is very possible Ivy would have been quiet, anyway. So, don't sweat it, Mom. You're doing a great job!

Mike and Barb

Maybe she could come learn from "Miss Chatty Cathy" aka Nora who is never, ever quiet. This girl can TALK....
Hugs to you, and I know you're there for Ivy to help her overcome her fears!
Love, Barb

Carla

Oh if that's all it takes...well, I'm super bad mom of the year! {HUG}

Do you know of anyone in Ivy's class? Someone you could ask their Mom if they could be asked, in a nice way, to talk with Ivy? Or ask the teacher to draw her out a little? Not, put her in the spotlight, but maybe in a smaller group of 2-3 girls who are known to be KIND, draw her into a conversation?

Naomi

You are so honest!! I have made more mistakes than I can remember, far worse than this one! In fact, given the chance I shall probably make the same one!!

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Unknown

Oh hugs to you! I've won that award too many times. And yes, I've won it with respect to Caleb and his speech issues as well. Don't beat yourself up. Praying for God to give you understanding as you reach out to Ivy and build her confidence. I don't have this issue with Caleb yet because he's still too young to perceive his speech troubles in public. But know I am lifting you up in prayer! Hang in there.

Post a Comment


Total Pageviews

Blog Archive


  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP