Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Welcome to my family blog. I have been married to Mike for over half of my life. I love my Savior, Jesus. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to six terrific, interesting children. My 3 oldest were born to me in my younger years, while my 3 youngest were given to me by God in my older years. I am very blessed. ~Cheri

11.01.2010

The Good Thing About The Holiday Season...

...is that I have no problems finding Christmas ornaments or clothes with Joy's name on them!



She is such a ham and loved, loved having these new PJ's.  I know it is not Christmas, but it is cool enough for the soft fleece.

Speaking of Joy, she is always full of surprises.  Although she is only 8 months younger than Eva (who was having serious conversations before the age of 2), she is years behind emotionally.  In some ways, she still acts like a baby.  I don't quite understand that because she is quite clever.  Yesterday, I would spell a short-vowel, 3-letter word with blocks and have Joy sound out the words without pictures.  She could do it.  She could do it when Eva could not.


If the word was map, Joy would start with mmmm-aaaa-pppp, map!  Eva would sound all the letters out and then say pat!  Am I looking at dyslexia issues, or is Eva just struggling with the sound order?  We'll keep trying and see what happens.  Joy just struggles to stay interested in the reading.  I know that Eva really wants to be able to read.  Joy could care less.  She probably likes to see me so thrilled for her.

As much as Eva has her food issues, Joy has her food issues, too.  Joy just does not eat her food, but rather plays with it.  She will take a piece of her pumpkin muffin and roll it into a ball.  She pulls apart her grapes to look inside.  She will dip her fish crackers in her water, pick sprinkles off her cupcakes and cookies, lick the butter off her bread, and try to lick the strawberry filling out of a breakfast bar.  She is always the last to leave the table, usually by 30 minutes or more.

Typical scene after dinner, Joy all alone

But, oh, the sweetness.  She would sit in my lap all day long and give hugs and kisses.  This is quite surprising from a child who probably never received one hug or kiss while in the orphanage.  (A high probability our guide told us since she had recently visited Wuchuan)  

**I wanted to add a sweet thank you to everyone who responded to my previous post via comments or email.  I appreciate all the words of encouragement and every single prayer.

3 kind words:

Learning Together at Home

How old is Joy? It can take a bit of time to cement the direction that words should be sounded out. When you said the word dyslexia, you caught my attention. Our 2 eldest, as well as their Mother (ummm, Me) are all dyslexic. What we haev used in order to trigger order and direction is to find something to place at the beginning of the word to sort of remind them where to start. Garnet is struggling with this now too adn yet not really showing outstanding signs of dyslexia in other ways. We use a piece of clay rolled into a small ball. When he is working with a flashcard or a word in a workbook or even on the whiteboard, I just push it to make it stick and it ends up looking like a small 3D period. I emphasize this because that way it isn't "too" distracting, but it does the trick to remind him. Maybe give that a try? Also, using the old "running the pointer finger under the word" trick works to help cement things.

I love her Jammies! In fact I LOVE kids in jammies in general. They are much snugglier during this sold weather season, don't you think? :)

Learning Together at Home

I meant Eva, not Joy - I was already thinking of Joy's PJ's. :) LOL

Mike and Barb

I'll send Nina right over to sit with Joy at the table. She is the pokiest eater I have ever known in my life. Unless it's sweets. Drives me insane.
Barb

Post a Comment


Total Pageviews

Blog Archive


  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP