Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Welcome to my family blog. I have been married to Mike for over half of my life. I love my Savior, Jesus. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to six terrific, interesting children. My 3 oldest were born to me in my younger years, while my 3 youngest were given to me by God in my older years. I am very blessed. ~Cheri

4.04.2010

Ivy

I realize that most of my posts lately have been about Ivy.  It seems like there is so much progress to post about, so she is an easy subject.  But, now that she is in a good routine, it is back to normal.  Ivy's English has really picked up.  She is starting to speak more clearly with many more words, and she understands about 99% of what I say.  She loves to help me in the kitchen, whether it is cooking, emptying the dishwasher or washing the dishes.

I had some time just yesterday to look back through some pictures that another Zhongshan mom shared with me, and I grabbed some cute pictures of Ivy, some of when she was much smaller.  She went through them and seemed so happy to see herself, friends, and China.  She even told me about the pink flower she is holding in one of the pictures.

 Notice Ivy on the right, directly behind the boy in the red.  She looks so little!

Ivy is the cutie, 2nd from right, front row.

My daughter is in the center with the pencil to her mouth.  It looks like a fun classroom.

This is the picture Ivy was telling me about.  She is holding the pink flower...her favorite color.  Those look like her thumbs, and she definitely remembers participating in this project.

I'm glad I have these pictures for Ivy.  I don't want her to forget her life in China, but I can tell that she is moving on very happily.  I look forward to the day that she can tell me about her life in China and all that she felt.

There is a big accomplishment to report on, though.  Ivy would cry whenever I would leave to run an errand.  Not every time, but many times.  She would also not go anywhere without me.  Mike wanted to take the children to a park 2 miles away.  We told her she was going with Daddy, Eva, and Joy, and that Mommy was staying home to clean up the kitchen.  Well, she started crying those silent tears.  Then it was louder and she was saying, "no, no, no".  Finally, when they were in the garage getting their shoes on, she plopped herself down on the floor.  I saw manipulation all over her face.  I put her in the car, buckled her in, and off they went to the park.  Mike said she cried the whole way and stumbled all the way up the hill to the playground.  Once there, Mike started playing with the girls.  Ivy finally joined in, laughing at all of the fun they were having.  Last night, same thing.  But, this time, she did not cry at all.  She happily left with her Daddy, sisters, and brother.  She didn't even say good-bye to me!?  I've seen this behavior in Ivy since I met her.  She acts like this to try to get her way.  I can tell it is not out of fear.  She does not fear her daddy at all.  She easily jumps on his lap here at home and plays with him.  She may have had some uneasiness about leaving me, but she is finally understanding that a family is for keeps.

4 kind words:

Lindy

Ivy is such a beautiful child. I'm so glad you have these earlier pictures for her.

I'm happy to hear that she is settling in. I feel bad when I see the word manipulation used to describe a newly adopted child's behavior. I think it is hard to know why they react a certain way early in their transition.

Hope you and your family had a blessed Easter!

Gretchen

I am so glad Ivy is feeling more and more at home! She sounds like such a sweet girl and a joy to be around.

And what a blessing that you have pictures of Ivy when she was younger. I know how much you appreciate those.

I love the Ivy updates! Gives me such hope for our Harper.

Mike and Barb

Cheri, it is so encouraging to see how well Ivy does and how she is adjusting.
Hmmmm, I'm spotting another special girl in some of your pictures :-)))
Barb

Becky

How sweet is that? Can't imagine the fears that could be in her. But it will be nice to know when she really understands and believes she is truly safe with her new family. Give all the children love from us and we love you and Mike so much!!!
Love,
Becky

Post a Comment


Total Pageviews

Blog Archive


  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP